24 October 2008

Outlines

During the morning meeting of the warehouse workers a couple days ago, one of the Red Cross managers pointed us out and said, "All of you Americorps guys are great, you work your asses off and you should be proud". This was followed by a round of applause from the 20-odd other people directed at us. I think I should have felt grateful and proud...instead, I felt really uncomfortable. I always do whenever we get applause and praised for what we do. We do work hard, but that's our job. I don't think we should get special credit for doing what we're supposed to. It's like giving your barber a round of applause for cutting your hair, or a mechanic one for fixing your car. Now I am completely in favor of giving a person credit in the form of a tip, a sincere thank-you, a future referral, etc. if they do their job especially well...but to me, a round of applause is a bit over the top for a bunch of young adults schlepping pallets in a warehouse. The sentiment is appreciated, however.

The wanderlust is acting up BAD of late. It's a combination of the isolated nature of our housing and the fact that I have less than a month left before I'm home. I have been rolling around another of my half-assed ideas in the old skull, this one involving a two- or three-month road trip around the country in a couple years, once I save up enough money to pay for gas and other such travel expenses. I'll have friends along for some parts and drive alone for others, and I'll take a camera and some notebooks to keep a record. Like the Great Anchorage Race, it's in the conceptual stages at the moment, but here's hoping.

Haven't done an NFL bit in a while, so here goes:
-Peyton Manning has spent the last seven games doing his best JP Losman imitation, and for the good of the Colts (and my fantasy team) it needs to stop.
-The upcoming Steelers-Giants game might be far more than a great game between two 5-1 teams...it very well could be a preview of the Super Bowl.
-You know the situation is serious when Troy Polamalu, of all people, speaks out.
-You do not fine Hines Ward, Hines Ward fines YOU.
-The Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills are making the playoffs this year. I called it before the season, and I'm sticking to it.
-The NFL's best team, record-wise, is being led by KERRY COLLINS. Who'da thunk it?

No comments: